- Milk carton, large yogurt container, or similar light-colored, flat-bottomed container
- Large (adult) scissors
- Old nylon stocking or Ziploc bag
- Adult cuts large window at the top or top and side of the container.
- Child decorates the container (optional).
- Child pulls nylon over the container, covering the window. If a Ziploc bag is used, be sure it does not seal the container completely.
- Place an insect into the cage gently and use the cage for observation.
- Discard the insect after a short time – it is inhumane to keep the critter in the cage for more than a few hours unless the child can feed and provide water for the insect.