- Two aluminum cans with rough edges sanded down or covered with masking tape
- Nail (and hammer)
- Five feet of Wire or nylon string
- Adult hammers hole into the bottom center of each can, with nail. Remove nail.
- Child laces string or wire through each hole.
- Adult ties knot at each end of wire or string.
- Child and adult (or two children) hold cans far apart until wire or string is taught.
- One person talks into one end and other person listens at the other.
- Discuss what you have discovered. How did sound get from one can to the other? Sound travels along a wire or string.