Crystal Springs / Sawyer Camp Trail
Explore this well maintained thoroughfare along Skyline Boulevard, attractive to many for its length, shady “tree tunnels,” and exposure to mist and fog rolling over the mountains from the coast.
- Beautiful Crystal Springs Reservoir (too bad you can't get close enough to dangle a toe in).
- Fantastic, smooth, wide two-lane trails.
- Nice bathrooms at the trailhead, plus port-a-potties frequently along the trail.
- Benches aplenty with great views of the reservoir and surrounding nature.
- Shade along much of the route - this is a great hike on a hot day!
- Wildlife includes deer, squirrels, various birds, lizards, and fish (see them jump, while you're way up on the trail!).
- Bicycles allowed - makes a great place to learn to ride!
- Connects via unpaved trail to San Andreas Trail, to the North. For more information, see San Andreas Trail.
- Shady picnic area with water and payphone at 3.5 miles.
- No dogs allowed
- No smoking
- No off-trail excursions here - though they do not stand out, the trail is bordered by fences.
- Stay on the trails to avoid ticks and poison oak!
There are handicapped parking spots and bathrooms at the trailhead. The trail is fantastic - more than suitable for handicapped use.
- Recommended Routes