Visit this spacious, classic zoo near the beach in San Francisco.
- Impressive landscaping that babies can reach out and touch, including fuzzy plants and lifesize statues and depictions of hippos and gorillas.
- Animals from all of the books children read, finally come to life!
- A huge range of animals to choose from - it would take several many-hour visits to see the whole zoo!
- Special events like feedings are posted at the zoo entrance, so you can attend what you are interested in.
- Children's interactive and learning area with a small petting zoo.
- There are cafes, a playground, and many benches for taking a break, getting a bite, and/or burning off energy.
- A peacock roams free at the zoo!
- A miniature steam train rolls throughout the zoo - hop on for $3!
- Ride your favorite animal on the zoo's carousel for $2 (parents ride free with a paying child).
- Talking storybooks occur throughout the zoo. Buy a key as you enter the zoo for $3 and listen to cool facts and stories about the animals.
- The first Wednesday of every month is free!
- The beach and a Golden Gate Recreation Area are just across the highway from the zoo, so make it an all-day outing!
- This place is huge! Plan what you want to see (no more than 1/3 of the park, per visit), rather than trying to do the whole thing in a day and getting frustrated.
- Paths meander throughout the zoo, so its easy to lose one's bearings. Pick up a map when you enter!
- No dogs, bicycles, or rollerblades allowed.
- Weather in San Francisco is highly variable, so dress in layers and be prepared for wind, sun, rain, and mist.
- Some events and exhibits close, due to weather or maintenance. Check the zoo website before visiting, to be sure what your interested in is open or running.
All zoo paths are flat, wide, and paved or packed fine gravel, so are suitable for handicapped access.
- Recommended Routes